Saturday, June 14, 2008

First Grouse Grind in 3 Years

Well today was the day. I haven't done the Grouse Grind since before I got pregnant with mini-man, nearly 3 years ago. Life is different than it was back then, and I'm in WAY worse shape lol. Now that the grind is open for the season, I figured I might as well try and work this in to my regular life.

I've decided to try and do the grind once a week for the summer. That would make my complete exercise regimen one Grouse Grind, one 90 minute hot yoga class and two kickboxing classes each week. I never was a big fan of going to the gym with all the other gym rats, so I have to keep things fun.



Anyway, I started out at 12:10pm today - had to take advantage of nap time in order to fit it in. It wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be, despite people looking at me oddly given I kept stopping to take photos. I realized that I didn't have much in the way of Grouse Grind photos to use in my work, so I might as well take some. Who knows if they're any good. Posting them here will be the first glimpse I get of them.

Here's the view from about half way up:



So I'll shamefully admit my time was roughly one hour and 16 minutes. It's a far cry from my pre-motherhood days of 53 minutes, which I'd thought was still relatively slow. And there was this guy who was much like a gazelle who kept bounding up around me and then waiting for his friends... I'd pass him while he waited and then again he'd spring up and past me taking what seemed like 3m leaps. Crazy. I'm not built like that, and I never will be, but that's okay.



Here's hoping this Mother Nature's Stairmaster can whip my booty into shape this year.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! that looks pretty cool, and beautiful!
May I ask where this is?

Michelle Mackintosh said...

It's at Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver, Canada. The Grouse Grind is short but crazy steep trail up roughly 2800ft within 1.8 miles I think...