Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On the topic of Personal Branding

Yesterday I downloaded a Free eBook on Personal Branding from Chris Brogan. Firstly, I have to say, I highly recommend reading just about every blog post he writes. No, seriously... subscribe. It'll be good for you if you want anything to do with social media. I get his blog right next to my local news from News 1130 each morning as I sit and drink my coffee.

Having said that, I felt either the title of this eBook was off, or something was just missing for me. Maybe I am the one who's just not getting it despite being a relatively savvy person when it comes to marketing, branding and social media, but this piece seemed to lack a reference to the 'personal' aspect of personal branding.

The eBook is filled with references to relatively unknown people. Sure, they are all superstars in their respective lines of business, but the concept of personal branding extends well beyond the tech world. This eBook should be called "Personal Branding in the Digital Space" or "Personal Branding for Bloggers". The truth of the matter is that personal branding existed well before the internet.

The biggest thing I battle with is that I can put out this 'brand' that is me... you can read my thoughts on twitter, you can read my blog, you can check out my profile on LinkedIn, you can google me and find out how long it took me to run the Sun Run or see that I once won 1st place in a kickboxing tournament, but none of that matters if what I project in person doesn't match what I'm putting out in the digital world.

I suggest that personal branding also has a lot to do with your real life person... how you dress, what you look like, what type of glasses frames you choose, whether you wear nice shoes, what kind of car you drive or if you drive a vespa. If you are into sports or if you are into remote control cars, that's going to make a difference to how people see you. I get a very different impression in my head from someone who wears designer clothes (my boss) than I do from someone who wears yoga pants, hoodies and flip flops (me). A person's commitment to personal integrity and decency also play a huge role in my mind. I'm shocked to see CEOs/CMOs/CTOs using the phrase "WTF" on twitter, for instance. Not only is it unnecessary, but I can't picture these people using the same language in person; that is still considered poor form in the boardroom as far as I know. Certain personalities, sure... but then I guess that just really does come down to personal branding.

So it's not that I want to knock what Chris Brogan is saying, because everything he's said is right on the money. I just think people really need to consider more than just the footprint they're leaving on the internet.

photo: jeromeinsf on Flickr

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: