Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Beauty of Twitter

I have to say, I'm in LOVE with Twitter. I just discovered it a few months ago and already I've gained more knowledge from the people and events I follow there than I have from any other single source ever.

I think it gives me the opportunity to feel like I'm on the leading edge. It puts me among the first to hear about some of the coolest, funniest, most shocking or most interesting news and events in the world and on the web and I've NEVER been that person before. I was always the awkward kid trying to get in on the conversation but walking in the road to hear what was going on on the sidewalk.

I logged in last night (well, opened the window - who am I kidding? I never log off) to find out that an earthquake had just taken place in San Francisco... 4 minutes ago! I also followed Twitter Search last weekend for #Gustav and saw minute-by-minute accounts of those people who were actually there on the ground in parts of Louisiana. How cool was that?! I realized then and there that by the time the newspapers are printed, what they're telling is no longer news.

Twitter is where I heard about the BlogWorld & New Media Expo that I'll be attending in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. Twitter is where I've heard about BarCamp Vancouver, which I'm waitlisted to attend at the moment. Twitter is where I hear from and even interact with some of the greatest minds in Social Media today such as @chrisbrogan, @mitchjoel, @briansolis and my local favourite @roxyyo, blogger for the #1 e-commerce blog in the world, GetElastic.

I only hope one day I can contribute as much to those who follow me as I'm getting from those I follow. In the meantime, here's a little vid to get you laughing:



Thanks everyone!


Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a sweetie, Michelle, see ya in Vegas!!