Saturday, August 30, 2008

Almost a Vegetarian

Yeah, so I've been following this Maple Leaf Foods listeriosis outbreak along with the rest of the country. If I wasn't borderline vegetarian before this, I most certainly am now. I've never been a huge fan of meat. I really only eat meat that looks entirely pristine - if it's processed it doesn't have any chunks in it; if it's fresh it is all meat with very little marbled animal-looking stuff. I just get turned off when I think hard about what I'm chewing.

So, as the story was breaking a week and a half ago I was actually off from work with some kind of infection causing severe cramping and stomach upset, so honestly at that point I was avoiding the news. I didn't need to hear about it between trips to the can. I tend toward being a hypochondriac anyway, that I figure if I don't think about it, it's not a possibility.

That said, I've now opened my eyes to the reality and keep watching the list of recalled meat closely for any indication that I or my family have consumed the listed products. I think so far we're mostly in the clear - we tend to get most of our deli products from Real Canadian Superstore, which uses Ziggy's brand meats I believe. At the same time, we do occasionally get meats from Safeway (big-man gets Capicollo there; RCSS doesn't carry it).

Here is a message from the CEO of Maple Leaf Foods:



Now, I heard on the news last night that even cheeses are affected... Yikes! What are we supposed to eat? This is just one more piece of evidence that cereal is a perfectly acceptable dinner food, as I have always suspected.

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Iceknight/Spicetruck (Nari) said...

Hey! I don't remember how I came to your blog, but I just read the post about vegetarianism. That's cool!! Welcome. On my blogroll at http://naridon2000.blogspot.com/ there are some good links (eg: Veggiedplatter) for veggie recipes. I plan to add some recipes to my site soon too.
One exception, I recently tried lobster when I was in Maine, it was good!