Saturday, July 5, 2008

Champions "Social Night"

I'm not much of a socialite. I'm a little more socially-awkward, nerdy girl with a strange combination of Type A personality and shyness... it's hard to explain. It often gets mistaken for UBER-snobby, but really I just don't feel comfortable making conversation with people I don't know very well unless it's for business and we have something specific to talk about.

So Thursday night at kickboxing I was reminded of the planned "Champions Social Night" by a few equally unsure individuals who asked if I was going, presumably to know if there would at least be someone there they didn't feel horrified to try to have a conversation with.

I've been training at Champions for something like 8 years now. I've basically lost count. The truth is, though, that although I've known the people I train with for that time, I've not truely gotten to really *know* any of them. Those I did get close with don't train anymore. To make matters worse, in the last 3 years I've taken a collective year and a half off, so friendships have formed and tight-knit clicks abound.

A few people asked me if I would go (the self-critical me figures it was likely out of politeness only) and so I reluctantly agreed to step in and check it out. I arrived WAY too early; I thought it was to start at 7:30 or 8pm... yeah, checking the details would have been a good way to go, but that's just not my style these days. So I arrived at 8:30 thinking I'd be there late enough to at least be inconspicuous as I enter. Not so. I was the first person there other than Champions staff... nice. That doesn't make a wall-flower type cringe at all...

Thank GOD for small miracles, one of the gals at the club I've been closer to in the last few years showed up relatively soon after I did, so we had a lovely chat. I came to find out she's got a regular role on Stargate Atlantis, so I now have to watch it even though I don't like science fiction shows, but it's just really cool seeing someone you know on TV. Anyway, I digress...

I ended up having a super fun time, more to drink than I'd like to admit, and didn't get home until 2am even though Mini-Man gets me up well before 6am on a daily basis. Other than being a little tired today (okay, well... a lot tired) I felt pretty good. Not like cardio-class Saturday good, but able-to-drag-myself-and-my-toddler-through-Superstore-for-our-weekly-grocery-shopping-trip good. So at least that was something.

I cringe at the thought of some of the photos that were taken. Something about drinks and dancing makes you feel likely more attractive than you really are. I don't really want the reality check, thank you very much.

No comments: